Mold can be harmful to your health if exposed over long periods of time, and some types of mold like the one commonly called black mold (Stachybotrys chartarum) are especially toxic. It can cause respiratory problems, including allergies, wheezing and coughing, as well as skin irritation and rashes. If you think you have a mold problem in your home, it is best to get a professional to inspect and clean up the area for you.
The first thing a certified mold remediation specialist will do is erect containment to isolate the affected areas from the rest of the house. This is done to prevent cross-contamination and limit the spread of mold spores during the cleaning and remediation process.
Once the affected areas are isolated, a thorough inspection of the property can begin. This includes a visual examination of the surface, as well as using air movers and dehumidifiers to ensure that all the moisture has been removed from the space. If the area is still damp, an antimicrobial spray may be used to kill any remaining spores before the cleaning process begins.
It is sometimes possible for the homeowner to remain in the house during the remediation process. However, a trained remediation technician will recommend wearing protective clothing and masks when working with the affected area of the property to avoid exposure. This can include gloves, N95 masks and personal hygiene items like soap and water. Before a final clean up, the restoration company will usually perform a contents pack out, where saveable possessions are removed to be cleaned, such as textiles, hard goods, photos and electronics. mould removal services